In May 1988, a hoard of silver and gold coins (mostly Prague groschen) was unearthed at a demolition site within the medieval town centre of Środa Śląska, Poland. Several more days later, gold ornaments were found at the municipal landfill among the rubble from other sites in the Old Town. The news spread quickly, attracting amateur treasure hunters and professional archaeologists. Through the end of 1988, the subsequent archaeological excavations continued along with efforts to recover gold and silver objects from the accidental finders. Although many items were recovered, it is agreed that there are still missing items.
Considering the date the treasure was probably hidden and its location, as well as the character and style of the jewels, it seems likely that they belonged to the Bohemian rulers of the House of Luxemburg and were pawned to the Jewish bankers of Środa Śląska under the reign of the Emperor Charles IV (1346-1378).
The Treasure of Środa Śląska was entrusted to the National Museum in Wrocław and shown there for the first time in 1997. It was later transferred to the Środa Śląska Regional Museum and is now a part of its permanent exposition.
Informations about retrieval of items belonging to the Środa treasure are appearing in the media every few years.